What are some of the plant-based ingredients used in this Greek vegan souvlaki recipe?
Delightful Greek Vegan Souvlaki Recipe: a Plant-Based Twist on a Traditional Greek Dish
Souvlaki is a popular Greek dish often associated with meat, but you don’t have to be a meat-eater to enjoy this delicious meal! This vegan souvlaki recipe is a plant-based twist on the traditional dish that is sure to impress your taste buds.
- 1 block of firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the cubed tofu to the marinade and allow it to rest for at least 10 minutes to soak up the flavors.
- Thread the tofu, red onion, bell pepper, and zucchini onto skewers alternating between each vegetable.
- Place the skewers onto the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until the tofu is golden and the vegetables are slightly charred.
- Serve hot with a side of tzatziki or hummus and enjoy!
How to Make Tzatziki:
If you’re in the mood for a delicious dip to go along with your souvlaki, you can easily whip up a batch of tzatziki. Here’s how:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- Combine the Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, minced garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the fresh dill and mix until well incorporated.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
This vegan souvlaki recipe is a crowd-pleaser that is sure to satisfy anyone’s craving for a tasty Greek dish. The combination of seasoned tofu and grilled vegetables is both healthy and delicious. Serve it up with a side of homemade tzatziki sauce, and you’ve got a meal that will transport your taste buds straight to Greece.