What are the key ingredients in this vegan moussaka recipe?
About the Recipe
Moussaka is a popular Greek dish that consists of layers of eggplant, potatoes, minced meat, and béchamel sauce. In this recipe, we will show you how to make a delicious vegan version of moussaka that will satisfy your cravings and impress even the toughest food critics. Our recipe is not only vegan but also gluten-free and dairy-free, making it a healthy and ethical choice for those of you who care about your diet and the planet.
- 2 medium-sized eggplants
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 cup of cooked lentils or vegan meat alternative
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Peel and slice the potatoes into thin rounds.
- Slice the eggplants into thin rounds and sprinkle some salt on them. Let them sit for 30 minutes to remove the excess water.
- While the eggplant is resting, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the cooked lentils or vegan meat alternative and stir to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vegetable broth. Stir well and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pat dry the eggplant slices with paper towels and brush them with olive oil.
- Place the potato rounds at the bottom of a baking dish followed by a layer of eggplant.
- Add half of the lentil mixture on top of the eggplant layer.
- Repeat the potato, eggplant, and lentil layers.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes until the top is golden and crispy.
- L et it cool for a few minutes and serve with a side salad and some freshly baked bread.