How does the plant-based twist in Moussaka Madness change the traditional flavor profile of the classic Greek dish?
Moussaka Madness: A Plant-Based Twist on a Classic Greek Dish
If you’re a fan of Greek cuisine, you may have heard of moussaka. Traditionally, moussaka is a dish made of layers of eggplant, ground meat, and béchamel sauce, all baked together into a delicious casserole. However, if you’re vegetarian or looking to reduce your meat consumption, you might think that moussaka is off the menu for you. Fear not! This plant-based twist on the classic recipe is just as flavourful and satisfying as the original – and it’s perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy a Greek feast without any meat.
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Spread the eggplant slices out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 30 minutes to allow the bitter liquid to release, then wipe off the salt and liquid with a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a large skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, vegetable stock, lentils, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir well to combine and cook for 10 minutes, until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Grease a baking dish with some olive oil. Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of eggplant slices. Spoon the lentil mixture over the eggplant layer and smooth it out with a spoon. Sprinkle some chopped parsley and mint on top of the lentil mixture, then add another layer of eggplant on top.
- Repeat the layers until all the eggplant and lentil mixture is used up, ending with a layer of eggplant. In a small bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and vegan parmesan cheese, then sprinkle the mixture over the top of the moussaka.
- Cover the moussaka with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes, until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the moussaka is bubbling. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then serve and enjoy your plant-based twist on the classic Greek dish!
We hope you enjoyed this recipe for moussaka with a plant-based twist! Not only is this version suitable for vegetarians or those looking to reduce their meat intake, it’s also packed with flavour and loaded with nutrients. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just looking to feed your family, this moussaka is sure to satisfy everyone’s taste buds.