What are some ingredients commonly found in Greek-inspired lunches?
Mediterranean Delight: Try this Greek-Inspired Lunch Recipe
This recipe takes the flavors of Greece in a simple and delicious packed lunch option, perfect for work or school lunches.
This classic salad is a staple in Greek cuisine, featuring tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, feta cheese, Kalamata olives, and a simple dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, and oregano.
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese, and Kalamata olives.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and oregano.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Greek Yogurt Dip
This creamy dip pairs perfectly with fresh vegetables, pita bread, or even as a sauce for grilled meats. It’s made with Greek yogurt, garlic, cucumber, and dill.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cucumber, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, garlic, grated cucumber, and chopped dill.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
This traditional Greek bread is perfect for dipping in the yogurt sauce or as a base for a sandwich with the Greek salad.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, and instant yeast.
- Add the warm water and stir until a shaggy dough forms.
- Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes on a floured surface until smooth.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let rise for 30-40 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a 1/4 inch thick circle.
- Cook the pita bread on the skillet for 1-2 minutes per side, until puffed and lightly browned.