How do traditional Greek flavors blend with vegan ingredients in an eggplant moussaka recipe?
Eggplant moussaka is a traditional Greek dish, usually made with meat and dairy products. However, in this recipe, we’re going to make a vegan version of this delicious dish. By using plant-based ingredients, we’ll be able to create a cruelty-free and healthy meal that is also incredibly tasty. So, let’s get started!
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of vegan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- 2. Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle them with salt. Let them sit for about 20 minutes to remove excess water.
- 3. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, and red bell pepper, and cook until the vegetables are softened.
- 4. Add the can of diced tomatoes, oregano, thyme, paprika, and vegetable broth. Stir well and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 5. In a separate pan, toast the breadcrumbs until they are golden brown.
- 6. Arrange the eggplant slices on the bottom of a casserole dish. Pour the tomato mixture over the eggplant and sprinkle with the shredded vegan cheese and toasted breadcrumbs.
- 7. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- 8. Let the moussaka cool for a few minutes before serving.
This vegan eggplant moussaka recipe is a perfect example of how traditional Greek flavors can meet veganism. By using plant-based ingredients, we can create a delicious and healthy meal that is also good for the planet. Whether you’re a strict vegan, or just looking to cut back on meat and dairy, this dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Enjoy!