Can you suggest some vegan substitutes for popular ingredients in traditional moussaka?
Moussaka is a classic Greek dish that traditionally contains lamb, beef or eggplant. However, if you are a vegan, you can still enjoy the rich and savory flavors of moussaka. In this recipe, we will show you how to make a vegan version of this beloved dish that’s just as delicious and comforting as the traditional one. So, let’s get started!
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Cut the eggplants into slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In the meantime, make the tomato sauce. In a large skillet, sauté the diced onion and minced garlic in olive oil until fragrant and translucent. Add the diced red bell pepper and sauté for another 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, canned tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the sauce is thick and flavorful. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the béchamel sauce. Melt the vegan butter or olive oil in a saucepan. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly. Slowly add the almond milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Cook for a couple of minutes, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the nutritional yeast, if using, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray. Arrange the roasted eggplant slices at the bottom of the dish. Pour the tomato sauce on top of the eggplant, spreading it evenly. Cover with another layer of eggplant slices.
- Pour the béchamel sauce evenly on top of the eggplant, covering it completely. Smooth out the surface with a spatula or spoon. Bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh herbs, such as parsley or basil, if desired.
- Enjoy your delicious vegan version of moussaka!