What are the key ingredients in a traditional Moussaka recipe?
Mouth-watering Greek Lunch: Discover the Delicious Flavors of Moussaka!
Are you ready for a delicious, hearty lunch that will transport you straight to the Mediterranean? Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish that is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Made with layers of eggplant, potatoes, tomato sauce, and meat (usually lamb), topped with a creamy béchamel sauce, this casserole is a true crowd-pleaser. So let’s get started!
- 2 large eggplants, sliced
- 4 potatoes, sliced
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt and let them sit for 15 minutes to remove excess moisture. Pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a skillet, brown the ground lamb, onion, and garlic until the meat is cooked through. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan, melt 1/4 cup of butter and sauté the potatoes until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt another 1/4 cup of butter and sauté the eggplant slices until softened and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 1/2 cup of butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Gradually pour in the milk, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese and eggs.
- In a baking dish, layer the potatoes on the bottom, followed by a layer of the meat mixture, then a layer of eggplant. Repeat until you have used up all the ingredients.
- Pour the béchamel sauce over the top of the moussaka and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the moussaka is heated through.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
With its rich layers of flavors and aromas, moussaka is truly one of the ultimate comfort foods. Whether you’re serving it up for a family dinner or a special occasion, this recipe is sure to delight. And best of all, it’s incredibly easy to make!