What are the key ingredients in this traditional Greek vegan recipe?
Greek cuisine is known for its delicious dishes packed with flavor and aroma. If you are a vegan, you might hesitate to try Greek dishes because you think they are mostly meat-based. However, Greek cuisine offers plenty of vegan options that are healthy, nutritious, and delicious. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to prepare a traditional Greek dish called fasolakia lathera. This hearty dish features green beans cooked in a tomato sauce with garlic, onions, and herbs.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup water
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the green beans to the pot and stir to coat them with the onion-garlic mixture.
- Add the diced tomatoes, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add 1 cup of water and stir again. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook the green beans for 30-40 minutes, or until they are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt or pepper, if needed.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
This simple vegan recipe is not only delicious but also healthy and nutritious. With its fresh green beans and flavorful sauce, it’s a perfect choice for a quick and easy dinner or a comforting lunch. You can also customize this recipe by adding other vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, or zucchini. Serve it with some crusty bread and a refreshing Greek salad, and you have a complete Mediterranean meal. Try it today and enjoy the taste of Greece!