What are the nutritional benefits of using Greek ingredients in a vegan moussaka recipe?
Moussaka originates from the Eastern Mediterranean region and is now a staple dish in the Greek cuisine. This vegan version of the moussaka is packed with flavorful layers of eggplant, potatoes, lentils, and tomato sauce, topped with a creamy béchamel sauce made with almond milk. It is not only delicious but also full of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Now, let’s get cooking!
- 2 large eggplants
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 cup of cooked brown lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of vegan butter
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the eggplants and potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices. Season them with salt and pepper and bake them in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, thyme, oregano, lentils, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the vegan butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Gradually whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the almond milk while whisking the mixture continuously. Stir in the nutmeg and cook for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Assemble the moussaka by layering the eggplant and potato slices in a baking dish. Pour the lentil tomato sauce over the vegetables and spread it evenly. Pour the béchamel sauce on top of the lentil mixture.
- Bake the moussaka in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown and the vegetables are cooked through.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
This vegan moussaka is a healthy and delicious twist on the traditional Greek dish. It’s a perfect choice for a family dinner or entertaining guests. The combination of eggplants, potatoes, lentils, and a creamy béchamel sauce creates a heavenly flavor. Give it a try and impress your friends and family with this Mediterranean magic!