What ingredients are typically used in a traditional moussaka recipe?
Are you a fan of Greek cuisine but follow a vegan lifestyle? Then look no further because we have the perfect recipe for you! This vegan moussaka recipe is a twist on the classic Greek dish, but with a vegan twist. The delicious and authentic flavors will transport you to the sunny beaches of Greece, while keeping your diet healthy and cruelty-free. So put on your apron and get ready to whip up a mouth-watering vegan moussaka.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can of lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup of vegan cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the sliced eggplants on a baking sheet and brush both sides with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the eggplants are tender and lightly browned on both sides, flipping halfway through.
- While the eggplants are roasting, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse and drain the lentils and add them to the skillet with the onion.
- Add the dried oregano, thyme, cinnamon, and smoked paprika to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and vegetable broth to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove the eggplants from the oven and let them cool a bit.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Arrange half of the eggplant slices in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Add the lentil mixture on top of the eggplants and spread it out evenly.
- Add the rest of the eggplant slices on top of the lentil mixture.
- Sprinkle the vegan cheese over the eggplant slices.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
There you have it – a delicious and nutritious vegan moussaka recipe that will make you feel like you’re dining in the Greek islands. Serve with a side salad or some crusty bread and enjoy! Opa!