What ingredients are needed to make this Greek vegan moussaka recipe?
Greek Vegan Moussaka
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 large eggplants, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lay the eggplant slices on a lightly oiled baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the dried oregano, smoked paprika, cinnamon, black pepper, and sea salt and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the paste starts to darken in color.
- Add the vegetable broth and chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Add the diced tomatoes and parsley and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Spread a layer of roasted eggplant slices in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Add a layer of the chickpea-tomato sauce on top of the eggplant slices. Repeat until all the eggplant and sauce is used up.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the moussaka is heated through.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve hot and enjoy!