What are some of the key ingredients in this Greek vegan gyro recipe?
About This Recipe
If you’re a fan of Greek food, but you’re looking for a vegan version of your favorite dishes, you’ll absolutely love this Vegan Gyro Recipe. With its delicious mixture of savory veggies and chickpeas seasoned with flavorful herbs, it will soon become your go-to meal. In addition to its incredible taste, this gyro is also incredibly nutritious, providing your body with plenty of protein, fiber, and vitamins. Plus, it’s easy to make and great for batch-cooking and keeping as leftovers for lunches during the week.
- For the “Gyro Meat”
- 1 can (15oz) chickpeas
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For serving:
- Pita bread
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced cucumbers
- Tzatziki sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and set them aside in a mixing bowl.
- Slice the onion, green bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Add the smoked paprika, dried oregano, dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Mix everything together well, then spread it out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the veggies are tender and slightly caramelized.
- While the “gyro meat” is baking, warm the pita bread in the oven or on the stovetop.
- To serve, stuff the pita bread with the “gyro meat,” diced tomatoes, diced cucumbers, and hummus. Add tzatziki sauce if desired.