What are the key ingredients in a traditional Greek breakfast recipe that can help kick-start your morning?
Start Your Morning Right with a Traditional Greek Breakfast Recipe
Experience the charm and richness of Greek cuisine right at the start of your day with a traditional Greek breakfast. It is time to get adventurous and ditch your usual toast or cereal for something different, something Greek. This recipe will take you on a culinary journey to the heart of Greece from the comfort of your kitchen.
Traditional Greek Breakfast: Feta Cheese and Spinach Pie (Spanakopita)
- One pack (about 500g) of frozen spinach, thawed
- A pinch of salt
- 200g of Feta cheese
- Two spring onions, finely sliced
- Two eggs
- One pack (48g) of Filo pastry
- 100g of melted unsalted butter
- Start by preheating your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Gather a large mixing bowl, combine the spinach and a pinch of salt. Mix well and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the spinach using a clean dish towel. The less liquid, the crispier your pie will be!
- Add to the bowl the finely sliced spring onions, crumble in the feta cheese, and crack in the two eggs. Give it a good mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Lay out the filo pastry, brush each sheet with the melted butter and stack them on top of each other. Carefully transfer this into a baking dish.
- Spread your spinach and feta cheese mixture evenly over the pastry.
- Fold over any hanging pastry onto the top of the pie, giving it a rustic look. Brush the top with more melted butter and sprinkle over a little more salt.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and crispy. Be sure to keep an eye on it!
- Last but not least, allow the pie to cool a little before slicing it up and serving. Nothing beats a warm slice of Spanakopita in the morning!
Venturing into new food territories can be a wonderful way to experience cultures remaining in your kitchen, especially when the journey takes you to the rich and vibrant land of Greece. Remember, good food is all about soul, love, and patience. A traditional Greek breakfast recipe is a wonderful addition to your gastronomic repertoire. Starting your morning with something as delightful as Spanakopita will definitely set the tone for the rest of your day.