What key ingredients in the Greek breakfast recipe align with the principles of the Mediterranean diet?
Start Your Day the Mediterranean Way: A Delicious Greek Breakfast Recipe
There’s something incredibly appealing about starting your day with a Mediterranean breakfast. Bursting with fresh ingredients, full of natural flavours and unbelievably healthy, a Greek breakfast recipe is the perfect way to kick-start your day. This particular recipe, known as ‘Spanakopita’, is a Greek Spinach and Feta Pie that’s not only delicious but also nutrient-packed. Let’s embark on this culinary journey together!
- 1 pack of filo pastry (14oz/400g)
- 2 lbs (1 kg) of fresh spinach
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 a cup (120ml) of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb (450g) of Feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 whole eggs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large pan, sauté the onions in a bit of olive oil until translucent.
- Add the spinach in handfuls, letting each batch wilt down before adding more. Continue this until all the spinach is cooked and all the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and let the spinach mixture cool. Transfer into a colander to drain any excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled spinach, onions, Feta cheese, dill, mint, eggs, salt, and pepper. Stir well until all ingredients are mixed properly.
- Prepare your baking dish by brushing the bottom and sides with olive oil. Then lay the filo sheets, brushing each with oil, until half the packet is used.
- Spread the spinach and Feta mixture evenly over the filo pastry. Then layer the rest of the filo on top, brushing each sheet with oil.
- bake in the preheated oven for about 40-50 minutes or until the filo pastry is golden brown and crisp.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
The end result? A savory Greek breakfast that’s not only nourishing but also light enough to keep you nimble throughout the day. Made from hearty nutrients like spinach and Feta, complemented by the classic Greek flavours of dill and mint, this Greek breakfast recipe is indeed a delicious treat!
Tips & Variations
- Substitute the Feta cheese with Ricotta or a mixture of both, if desired.
- Use other leafy green vegetables like Swiss chard, or a mix of spinach and chard.
- Add in other fresh herbs like parsley or oregano.
In conclusion, this Greek breakfast recipe is sure to whisk you away to the sunny shores of the Mediterranean! It’s a delightful balance of flavours and textures—crispy, golden filo against smooth, creamy spinach and Feta. It’s the perfect way to start your day, adding sunshine to even the dreariest mornings. So, the next time you’re looking for a healthy and delicious breakfast option, why not give this Greek breakfast a try?