What are the main ingredients of this Greek vegan moussaka recipe?
Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish that is typically made with layers of eggplant, ground beef, and béchamel sauce. However, in this recipe, we will be using lentils and mushrooms instead of meat to make a hearty vegan version that is just as delicious. So, whether you are a vegan, vegetarian, or just looking for a meat-free alternative, this recipe is sure to impress your taste buds.
- 2 large eggplants, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a large baking dish with olive oil.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until they release their liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vegetable broth to the skillet. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the prepared baking dish, layer half of the diced eggplant on the bottom, followed by the lentil mixture. Repeat with another layer of eggplant and lentil mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes, or until the bread crumbs are golden brown and the eggplant is tender.
- Let the moussaka cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Enjoy your delicious Greek vegan moussaka!