What ingredients are used to make this vegan moussaka and how do they differ from the traditional recipe?
- 3 eggplants, sliced into rounds
- 2 potatoes, sliced into rounds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spread the eggplant and potato slices on separate baking sheets, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and slightly golden.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic, chopped bell peppers, chickpeas, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and spread a layer of the eggplant slices on the bottom.
- Add a layer of the potato slices on top of the eggplant.
- Spoon the tomato and chickpea mixture on top of the potatoes.
- Repeat with another layer of eggplant, potatoes, and tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top of the moussaka.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, until the top is crispy and golden.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
You can replace the eggplant and potatoes with zucchini and sweet potatoes for a different flavor and texture. You can also add vegan cheese on top of the moussaka, or serve it with a side salad of lettuce, tomato, and cucumber.
Serving size: 1/8 of the moussaka
Calories per serving: 252
Total fat: 10g
Saturated fat: 1g
Total carbohydrate: 37g
Dietary fiber: 11g
“This vegan moussaka is a healthier version of the classic Greek dish, without sacrificing any of the flavor or texture. It’s loaded with vegetables and spices, and it’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or a special occasion.”