What is the Greek vegan moussaka made of?
Greek moussaka is a classic comfort food that’s traditionally made with meat and béchamel sauce. However, this vegan version is just as scrumptious with its eggplant, potato, and lentil layers, topped with a creamy cashew sauce. It’s easy to prepare and is sure to be a hit at any dinner party.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced into rounds
- 2 large potatoes, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup of brown lentils (cooked)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup of raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup of plant-based milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Place the eggplant and potato slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Roast them in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they’re tender and lightly browned.
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until they’re fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, dried oregano, dried thyme, smoked paprika, ground cinnamon, salt, and black pepper. Mix everything well and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the cooked brown lentils, chopped parsley, and chopped mint to the skillet. Mix everything together and let it cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.
- To make the cashew cream, drain the soaked cashews and place them in a blender with the plant-based milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Blend until you get a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Once the vegetables are done roasting, assemble the moussaka by placing half of the eggplant and potato slices at the bottom of a baking dish. Add the lentil mixture on top of them and spread it evenly. Add the remaining eggplant and potato slices on top of the lentil mixture.
- Pour the cashew cream on top of the moussaka and spread it evenly. Bake it in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbly.
- Let the moussaka cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish it with chopped fresh parsley and mint leaves.