What are the nutritional benefits of the ingredients used in the traditional Greek appetizer, Dolmades?
Delicious Dolmades: A Traditional Greek Appetizer Recipe You Must Try!
Step into the colorful world of traditional Greek cuisine with this authentic Dolmades recipe that’s guaranteed to impress. Dolmades are tender grape leaves stuffed with a succulent mixture of rice, fresh herbs, and flavorful spices; a classic, vegetarian-friendly dish ideal for any occasion.
- 50 grape leaves, drained and rinsed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the grape leaves: Carefully unroll grape leaves, rinse well under cold water, and place in a bowl. Pour boiling water over them until they are fully submerged. Let them soak for 20-30 minutes to remove excess saltiness.
- Make the filling: In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook over medium heat until translucent. Stir in rice until well mixed with the onions. Add warm water, 1/4 cup lemon juice, dill, mint, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the rice has absorbed the water and flavors are well combined.
- Wrap the dolmades: Drain the grape leaves. Place a leaf on a flat surface. Put about a spoonful of rice mixture toward the bottom of the leaf. Fold in the sides and roll up the leaf to enclose the filling. Repeat with the remaining leaves and rice mixture.
- Cook the dolmades: Place the wrapped dolmades in a large saucepan. Pour in enough water to cover the dolmades, remaining lemon juice, and a drizzle of olive oil. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 45-60 minutes, until the leaves are tender and the flavors are melded together. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This dish is rich in fiber and contains approximately 94 calories per dolma (based on 50 servings).
With their combination of aromatic herbs, tangy lemon, and tender grape leaves, these homemade dolmades are a mouthwatering delight that pay tribute to Greece’s culinary traditions. Whether you’re entertaining Greek relatives or throwing a Mediterranean-themed dinner party, these dolmades are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Happy cooking!