What are the main ingredients in Greek spanakopita and how are they traditionally prepared?
Greek spanakopita is a savory pastry made with spinach, feta cheese, and phyllo dough. It’s a delicious appetizer that’s perfect for entertaining guests or simply enjoying as a snack. This recipe is easy to make and can be prepared in just a few simple steps. It’s also a great way to introduce yourself to the flavors of Greek cuisine.
- 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the spinach, onion, parsley, garlic, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and egg.
- Brush a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough in the prepared baking dish and brush with olive oil. Repeat for 7 more sheets of phyllo dough.
- Spread the spinach mixture over the phyllo dough.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on top of the spinach mixture and brush with olive oil. Repeat for 7 more sheets of phyllo dough.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the phyllo dough is golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.