How do you make a vegan version of traditional moussaka?
Mediterranean Magic: Delicious Greek Vegan Moussaka Recipe
If you’re looking for a hearty, comforting, and flavorful vegan dish that tastes like it took hours to make, you’ve found it! This Greek moussaka is packed with veggies, topped with a creamy béchamel sauce, and bursting with Mediterranean flavors.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into rounds (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 zucchinis, sliced into rounds (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and sliced into rounds (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spread the eggplant, zucchini, and potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Toss gently to coat. Roast for 25 minutes, flipping the veggies halfway through, until tender and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, basil, cinnamon, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened.
- Spread half of the roasted veggies in a single layer in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with half of the tomato sauce. Repeat with the remaining veggies and sauce.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute to cook the flour. Gradually whisk in the almond milk, nutritional yeast, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until the sauce has thickened.
- Pour the béchamel sauce over the veggies and spread it evenly. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.
This vegan moussaka is a healthy, filling, and delicious option for lunch or dinner. It’s perfect for sharing with friends and family, or meal prepping for the week ahead. Enjoy!