What are the ingredients required to make a vegan version of spanakopita?
Traditional Greek Delight: Vegan Spanakopita Recipe
alt=”Vegan Spanakopita” width=”800″ height=”533″>
If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy dish to impress your friends and family, look no further than this Traditional Greek Delight: Vegan Spanakopita Recipe! Spanakopita is a popular Greek dish that’s traditionally made with spinach, feta cheese, and phyllo pastry. However, this vegan version is just as delicious, and it’s perfect for those who are lactose intolerant, allergic to dairy, or for those who simply prefer a plant-based diet.
- 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package of phyllo pastry (approx. 20 sheets), thawed according to package instructions
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or olive oil, melted
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a large saucepan, cook the chopped onion in 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the chopped spinach to the saucepan and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes more.
4. Remove the saucepan from heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Add the chopped fresh dill, parsley, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg to the spinach mixture and stir to combine.
5. Take a sheet of phyllo pastry and brush it with melted vegan butter or olive oil. Layer another sheet of phyllo on top and brush it with melted butter or oil as well. Repeat this process until you have a stack of 4-5 phyllo sheets.
6. Spread a generous amount of the spinach mixture over the top layer of the phyllo sheets.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you run out of spinach mixture.
8. Layer the remaining phyllo sheets on top of the last layer of spinach mixture, brushing each layer with melted vegan butter or olive oil as you go.
9. Cut the spanakopita into squares or triangles, as desired.
10. Bake the spanakopita in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
11. Let the vegan spanakopita cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Thank you for trying out this delicious Traditional Greek Delight: Vegan Spanakopita Recipe. We hope you enjoyed it as much as we do. Share your creations with us on social media using #veganspanakopita.