What are the key ingredients of a traditional moussaka recipe?
Mouthwatering Greek Delight: Traditional Moussaka Recipe
Moussaka, a baked casserole consisting of layers of eggplant, ground beef or lamb, and a creamy béchamel sauce, is a classic Greek comfort food. This recipe provides a traditional version of the dish that will have your taste buds begging for more. Give it a try and transport your tastebuds to the Mediterranean!
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut the eggplants into thin slices lengthwise and lay them on a baking sheet. Brush them with olive oil and bake them for 15 minutes or until they become soft and tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef or lamb, onion, and garlic. Cook until the meat is browned and the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes, cinnamon, oregano, and thyme to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Melt the butter in a separate saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually add the milk and continue whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Layer half of the eggplant slices in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Pour the meat sauce on top of the eggplant. Add another layer of eggplant and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Pour the béchamel sauce on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.