What are some of the vegan substitutions used in the traditional moussaka recipe?
Moussaka is a classic Greek dish that is traditionally made with layers of eggplant, ground beef, and a creamy béchamel sauce. However, this recipe gives moussaka a vegan twist by using lentils instead of meat and a vegan béchamel sauce. The result is a deliciously satisfying dish that is perfect for vegans and meat-lovers alike.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of dried basil
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 2 tbsp of vegan butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Prepare your eggplants by slicing them into 1/4 inch slices. Sprinkle them with salt and set aside to let the bitter juices drain for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook the red lentils according to the package instructions.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the cooked lentils, can of diced tomatoes, dried oregano, dried basil, smoked paprika, and tomato paste to the skillet. Mix everything together and let it cook for another 5-7 minutes until the mixture thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the béchamel sauce, melt the vegan butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until there are no lumps. Gradually whisk in the almond milk and continue stirring until the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Now it’s time to assemble the moussaka. Grease a large baking dish with cooking spray. Add a layer of eggplant on the bottom, followed by a layer of the lentil mixture. Repeat with another layer of eggplant and lentil mixture. Pour the béchamel sauce over the top.
- Bake the moussaka for 45-50 minutes until the eggplant is tender and the béchamel sauce is lightly browned on top.
- Remove the moussaka from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
This vegan twist on traditional moussaka is a delicious and satisfying dish that is easy to make and perfect for a cozy night in. The combination of the lentil mixture, eggplant, and béchamel sauce is a delightful alternative to the traditional meat and dairy version. Try it out for yourself and enjoy!