What are the key ingredients of a traditional Greek beverage recipe?
Opa! Sip on This Traditional Greek Beverage Recipe
When it comes to Greek cuisine, most people think of the usual suspects: moussaka, spanakopita, gyros, and the like. However, there’s another aspect of Greek culture that deserves to be celebrated: their desserts and beverages. Among the most delicious of these is a refreshing, tangy drink known as ‘Ellinikos Tsipouro’. It’s a popular drink consumed after meals in Greece because it helps with digestion. Here’s our version of the recipe that you can make at home.
- 2 cups of tsipouro or another unsweetened, clear alcohol like vodka
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of honey
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- Add the cinnamon sticks and honey to a pot with the water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Pour the tsipouro into a bowl or jug and zest the orange and lemon directly into the alcohol. Mix well.
- Once the honey mixture is done, remove the cinnamon sticks and pour the liquid into the bowl or jug with the tsipouro. Mix well.
- Let the mixture cool and then put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours (or overnight) to completely cool and allow the flavors to meld.
- When ready to serve, pour the drink into small glasses, over ice if desired. Garnish with a slice of orange or lemon if desired.
Ellinikos tsipouro is a traditional Greek drink that’s easy to make and refreshing to enjoy. Now that you have the recipe, why not whip up a batch to enjoy with friends and family? Opa!