What ingredients are needed to make homemade ouzo?
Making the Best Ouzo at Home
If you’re a lover of anise-flavored drinks, you’ll fall in love with ouzo! This Greek liqueur packs a punch with its intense flavor and aroma that will leave you wanting more. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make ouzo right in the comfort of your home.
- 1 liter of water
- 1 kg of sugar
- 200 ml of distilled alcohol (90%)
- 2 tablespoons of anise extract
- Zest of one lemon
- In a large pot, bring the water and sugar to a boil. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Add the distilled alcohol, anise extract, and lemon zest. Stir well.
- Transfer the mixture to a large jar and let it sit for 40 days.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth and then again through a coffee filter to remove any impurities.
- Store in a sealed bottle and enjoy!
Enjoy Your Homemade Ouzo!
Now that you’ve made your own ouzo, it’s time to enjoy the fruit of your labor! Savor the taste of Greece right from your own home with this simple yet delicious recipe. Cheers!