How does the traditional Greek Spanakopita recipe offered in the book help to give a healthy start to your day?
Start Your Day with a Delicious Greek-Inspired Breakfast: Traditional Spanakopita Recipe
Spanakopita, a seamlessly blended spinach, feta, and pastry dish, is one of Greece’s most recognized contributions to world cuisine. You don’t have to travel to Greece to enjoy this scrumptious dish, though! Here’s how to make authentic, mouthwatering Spanakopita right in the comfort of your kitchen.
- 1 pack of phyllo dough (thawed)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 pound of fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onions and garlic, and cook until golden brown.
- Add in the spinach and dill and cook until wilted. Let it cool and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and combine it with the cooled spinach mixture and crumbled feta. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay out the phyllo dough and cover with a damp cloth to keep it from drying out. Brush each sheet with olive oil and stack them on top of each other.
- Place your spinach and feta mixture in the center of the dough and fold it over, ensuring all edges are sealed.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
There you have it – a traditional Greek Spanakopita recipe! Now you can savor a delicious piece of Greece right from your breakfast table. Pair it with a strong Greek coffee to make the experience authentically Greek!