What inspired the creation of this Greek vegan moussaka recipe and how does it differ from traditional moussaka?
Delicious Greek Vegan Moussaka Recipe: A Plant-Based Twist on a Classic Dish
If you’re looking for a hearty and delicious meal that’s vegan-friendly, look no further than this vegan moussaka recipe. Made with layers of eggplant, zucchini, and lentils, this plant-based twist on the classic Greek dish is sure to become a favorite in your household.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced into rounds
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 cup uncooked green lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Arrange the eggplant and zucchini rounds in a single layer on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until tender and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, cook the lentils according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, cinnamon, nutmeg, vegetable broth, and cooked lentils to the skillet. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, layer the roasted eggplant and zucchini rounds on the bottom of the dish. Top with the lentil sauce. Repeat the layers, ending with a layer of eggplant and zucchini.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Enjoy this delicious Greek vegan moussaka recipe on its own or with a side of crusty bread and a Greek salad. This plant-based twist on the classic dish is sure to impress your friends and family, and it’s a great way to incorporate more plant-based meals into your diet.