What adaptations were made to traditional souvlaki ingredients to make this recipe 100% plant-based?
Souvlaki with a Vegan Twist: A Greek-inspired Meatless Recipe
Souvlaki is a traditional Greek dish that features marinated meat grilled on skewers. However, you don’t have to be a fan of meat to enjoy this delicious and flavorful meal. With this vegan twist on souvlaki, you can savor all the rich and tangy flavors and enjoy a meatless meal that is just as satisfying. This easy-to-follow recipe is perfect for vegans, vegetarians, and anyone looking for a delicious and healthy meal that is both satisfying and easy to prepare.
For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the kebabs:
- 1 block firm tofu, pressed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8-10 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, and black pepper to make the marinade.
- Add the tofu, onion, bell peppers, and zucchini to the marinade and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Thread the marinated tofu and vegetables onto the skewers in any order you like.
- Grill the skewers for 12 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the tofu is lightly charred on all sides.
- Serve hot with your favorite side dish and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy this vegan twist on souvlaki, packed with rich Mediterranean flavors and plant-based goodness. Try it out and let us know how you like it in the comments below!