What are the key ingredients in an authentic Greek vegan moussaka recipe?
Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish that usually contains ground meat, eggplant, potatoes, and a creamy bechamel sauce. This vegan version replaces the meat with lentils and uses a cashew-based sauce. It’s a delicious and flavorful dish that will transport you to the sunny Mediterranean.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups cashew milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Brush the eggplant and potato slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- In a saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add the cooked lentils, tomato paste, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- In a separate saucepan, whisk together the cashew milk, flour, nutritional yeast, nutmeg, and salt over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Place a layer of eggplant slices at the bottom of a baking dish. Add a layer of potato slices on top, followed by the lentil mixture. Repeat the layers, finishing with a layer of eggplant.
- Pour the cashew sauce over the top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
This vegan moussaka is a healthy and delicious way to enjoy a traditional Mediterranean dish. The lentils add protein and fiber while the cashew sauce provides a creamy and rich flavor. It’s a perfect dish to serve to your friends and family at a dinner party or to enjoy on a cozy night in. Bon appetit!