What are some of the ingredients used in the Greek Vegan Moussaka recipe?
If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy meal that’s high in protein and fiber, look no further than this Greek Vegan Moussaka Recipe. Traditionally made with meat, cheese, and eggplant, moussaka is a hearty and filling dish that can be enjoyed by vegans and omnivores alike.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Spread the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway, until tender and lightly browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, black pepper, and oregano. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the chickpeas, parsley, mint, and nutritional yeast. Cook for another 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, whisk together the flour, almond milk, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
7. In a 9×13-inch baking dish, layer the eggplant and tomato mixture. Top with the almond milk mixture.
8. Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.
This Greek Vegan Moussaka Recipe is a delicious and healthy alternative to the traditional meat and cheese version. With its high protein and fiber content, it’s a filling and satisfying meal that’s perfect for anyone looking to eat healthy. Give it a try today!