What makes this vegan spanakopita recipe a delicious Greek dish?
Deliciously Greek: Vegan Spanakopita Recipe
Spanakopita is a traditional Greek dish made with filo pastry and spinach. It’s usually filled with feta cheese and eggs, but this vegan version uses tofu and nutritional yeast to create a rich and savory filling. It’s perfect for a light lunch or as a party appetizer. Here’s how to make it:
- 1 package filo pastry
- 1 lb spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Stir in crumbled tofu, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool.
- Unroll the filo pastry and cut it into 3-inch strips.
- Brush each strip with olive oil.
- Place a spoonful of filling onto the end of each strip.
- Take one corner of the strip and fold it diagonally to the opposite edge, forming a triangle.
- Continue folding until you reach the end of the strip, forming a triangle-shaped pastry.
- Place the pastries on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold.
With this vegan version of spanakopita, you won’t even miss the feta cheese and eggs. It’s a delicious and healthy Greek treat that’s perfect for any occasion. Try it out today!