What are some key ingredients in the vegan moussaka recipe that contribute to its authentic Greek flavor?
Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish made with layers of eggplant, potatoes, and ground meat, all topped with a creamy bechamel sauce. However, this vegan version of the moussaka recipe omits the meat while still retaining all the rich and flavorful ingredients that make it a beloved Greek dish. Follow this simple recipe to learn how to make the perfect vegan moussaka at home!
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- 3 medium potatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup of cooked lentils
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp of vegan butter
- 2 cups of unsweetened soy milk
- Preheat your oven to 375F/190C.
- In a large pan, saute the sliced onion and minced garlic in olive oil until fragrant and the onion turns translucent.
- Add the cooked lentils and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, then add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes, stirring to incorporate.
- Season with oregano, basil, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- In a separate pan, lightly fry the sliced eggplants and potatoes in olive oil until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Next, prepare the vegan bechamel sauce. In a saucepan, melt vegan butter over medium heat, then add flour and stir continuously until a smooth mixture forms.
- Add unsweetened soy milk, whisking slowly to incorporate and avoid lumps. Cook the sauce for about 10 minutes or until it thickens and becomes slightly creamy.
- Remove from heat and stir in nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Now, layer the cooked eggplant slices on the bottom of a large baking dish followed by a layer of potatoes on top.
- Add the lentil and tomato mixture on top of the potatoes and continue to layer until all ingredients are used up.
- Finish off with a layer of vegan bechamel sauce on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the moussaka is heated through.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Congratulations! You have now mastered the art of making a delicious vegan moussaka using authentic Greek flavors without meat. We hope you enjoy this comforting dish as much as we do, and feel free to share this recipe with friends and family!