What are some tips for making the perfect flaky phyllo dough for the spanakopita recipe?
Tasty Greek Mezze Delight: Feta and Spinach Spanakopita Recipe
If you’re a fan of Greek food, chances are you’ve tried spanakopita. This traditional dish features a filling of spinach and feta cheese wrapped in layers of crispy phyllo pastry. It’s perfect as a main course, but also makes a great appetizer or snack. Try your hand at making this delicious Greek mezze delight with our easy-to-follow recipe.
1 medium, chopped
2 cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 356°F.
- Wash and chop the spinach. Squeeze out any excess moisture with a kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the frying pan and cook until wilted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and let the spinach mixture cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix together the crumbled feta, beaten egg, grated nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Add the spinach mixture to the bowl of feta and stir to combine.
- Take one sheet of phyllo pastry and brush it with olive oil. Place another sheet on top and brush with olive oil again. Repeat until you have 6 sheets of phyllo pastry layered up.
- Spoon the spinach and feta mixture onto the phyllo pastry, leaving a border of about 2 cm all around. Fold the sides of the phyllo pastry in over the filling, then roll it up like a cigar.
- Place the rolled-up spanakopita on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat the phyllo