What are some vegan substitutes for the traditional ingredients in a Greek Moussaka?
Moussaka is a beloved Greek dish that typically contains meat and
dairy. However, this vegan version is just as delicious and hearty,
and perfect for all diets. The combination of eggplant, potatoes,
lentils, and a creamy béchamel sauce will leave you wanting more. This
recipe takes a little time, but it is definitely worth it!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced thinly
- 2 large potatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 cup of cooked lentils
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place the sliced eggplant and potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until they are slightly browned and soft.
- In a large pan, sauté the onion and garlic with olive oil until golden brown. Add the spices, tomato paste, and crushed tomatoes, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked lentils, and let it cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Slowly pour in the almond milk while whisking constantly.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and let the sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes until it thickens.
- In a rectangular glass baking dish, layer the roasted eggplant and potatoes, followed by the lentil-tomato mixture. Repeat until all ingredients are used, but end with a layer of eggplant on top.
- Pour the béchamel sauce on top of the layered dish.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes until the sauce is golden brown and bubbling.
- Let the moussaka cool for a few minutes before serving.
This vegan Greek moussaka is a crowd-pleaser, even for meat lovers. It’s hearty, creamy, and packed with flavor. Serve it at your next dinner party or enjoy it as a comforting meal on a chilly night. Don’t forget to take a picture, because this dish is undoubtedly Instagram-worthy.