What are the main ingredients used to create a flavorful vegan moussaka dish?
Are you a fan of Greek cuisine but looking for a plant-based alternative? Look no further, as we have the perfect dish for you: Mouth-Watering Vegan Moussaka! This classic Greek dish is typically made with layers of meat and eggplant, but we’ve put a twist on it by making it entirely plant-based. Trust us, your taste buds will thank you for this delicious and hearty meal.
For the filling:
– 2 medium eggplants, sliced
– 2 large potatoes, sliced
– 1 onion, diced
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste
– 1 can of diced tomatoes
– 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– Salt and pepper to taste
For the vegan béchamel sauce:
– 4 tablespoons vegan butter
– ¼ cup all-purpose flour
– 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
– Salt and pepper to taste
– ½ cup nutritional yeast
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Slice the eggplants and potatoes into thin rounds. Salt the slices and let them sit for 10 minutes to remove excess moisture.
3. While the eggplants and potatoes are resting, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Add dried oregano, thyme, and paprika to the skillet, stirring for a minute before adding the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and chickpeas. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Rinse the eggplants and potatoes under cold water and pat dry. Grill or bake for 20-25 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
6. While waiting for the vegetables to grill, prepare the vegan béchamel sauce. In a saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth and slightly browned. Add the unsweetened almond milk and continue whisking continuously until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the nutritional yeast until fully incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Assemble the moussaka in a 9×13 inch baking dish by layering half the grilled eggplants and potatoes at the bottom of the dish. Spread the filling over the layer of eggplants and potatoes, then cover it with another layer of eggplants and potatoes. Pour the vegan béchamel sauce evenly over the top.
8. Bake the moussaka in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
The vegan twist on the classic Greek dish is an excellent addition to any dinner table. This Mouth-Watering Vegan Moussaka is a perfect recipe for those looking for a plant-based alternative to meat dishes. It is filling, flavorful, and sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Enjoy!