What are the key ingredients in this Greek vegan moussaka recipe?
Deliciously Authentic: Greek Vegan Moussaka Recipe
If you’re looking for a vegan moussaka recipe that’s authentic and delicious, look no further! This recipe takes the classic Greek dish and makes it vegan-friendly, without sacrificing any of the flavor.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 cup of soy milk
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Salt the eggplant slices and let sit for 30 minutes to remove any bitterness. Rinse with water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, whisk together the vegetable broth, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, nutmeg, and soy milk. Cook over medium heat until the sauce thickens, whisking constantly.
- Take the eggplant slices out of the oven and layer them in a baking dish. Pour the tomato sauce on top of the eggplant slices.
- Pour the white sauce on top of the tomato sauce and sprinkle the bread crumbs over everything.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until everything is golden brown and bubbling.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.
This vegan moussaka recipe is a delicious and authentic take on the classic Greek dish. The eggplant slices, savory tomato sauce, and creamy white sauce all come together to create a flavor that’s hard to resist. Give this recipe a try and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills!