What are the main ingredients and steps to make vegan moussaka?
Are you a fan of Greek cuisine but looking for a healthier option? Check out this recipe for a vegan version of moussaka. It’s loaded with veggies and plant-based protein, making it a nutritious and delicious meal that everyone can enjoy.
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Arrange sliced eggplants on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- In a separate pan, sauté onions and garlic with oil until softened.
- Add diced tomatoes, lentils, vegetable broth, ground cumin, paprika, and dried oregano. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils have cooked through.
- Layer the eggplant in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Top it with the lentil-tomato mixture.
- Bake the moussaka for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown on top.
The vegan moussaka is perfect for those who are health-conscious and seeking something that’s low in cholesterol. A serving of this dish (about 1/6 of the recipe) contains 270 calories, 10 grams of protein, and 6 grams of fiber.