What are the key ingredients in this eggplant moussaka recipe?
- 2 large eggplants, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup vegan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spread out your eggplant slices on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- While the eggplant is roasting, heat up a large skillet on medium-high heat, and cook your onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add your diced peppers to the skillet and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in your can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. Stir everything together and let it simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Once your eggplant is done roasting, remove it from the oven and set it aside. Increase your oven temperature to 400°F (200°C).
- Take a large casserole dish and start layering your moussaka, starting with a layer of eggplant slices at the bottom. Add a layer of your tomato sauce, followed by a sprinkle of vegan cheese. Continue layering until you’ve used up all of your ingredients.
- Mix together your soy milk and cornstarch, and pour it over the top layer of your moussaka.
- Bake your moussaka in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.