What are some common substitute ingredients used in a vegan moussaka recipe?
Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish made with layers of eggplant, ground meat, and béchamel sauce. However, in this recipe, we’re giving it a vegan twist without sacrificing any of the delicious flavors that this dish is known for.
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups almond milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese, grated
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Slice the eggplants into 1/4-inch thick rounds, and brush with olive oil on both sides. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, paprika, cinnamon, cloves, and vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- In a separate saucepan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Whisk in 2 tbsp flour until smooth. Gradually stir in 2 cups of almond milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and stir in 1/2 cup of vegan parmesan cheese.
- Now it’s time to layer! In a large casserole dish, layer the baked eggplant slices followed by a layer of tomato sauce. Repeat until all the eggplant and sauce are used up. Pour the béchamel sauce evenly over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.