How does the traditional Strapatsada recipe reflect the authentic Greek breakfast culture?
Discover the Delight of Authentic Greek Breakfast: Traditional Strapatsada Recipe
If there’s anything evocative of the sunny Mediterranean mornings, it’s a traditional Greek breakfast. Today, we’re going to introduce you to Strapatsada, a Greek classic. It’s a scrambled egg dish made with juicy tomatoes, olive oil, and feta cheese, infusing typical Greek flavours in every bite.
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 100g feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs (parsley, dill, oregano) to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, stirring them until they become tender.
- Grate the tomatoes and add them into the pan, followed by the paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Let the tomato mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes until it thickens into a sauce-like consistency.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Crumble the feta cheese and incorporate it into the eggs.
- Pour the egg and cheese mix into the pan, stirring frequently until the eggs are just set.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Garnish your Strapatsada with the fresh herbs. Serve hot with warm bread on the side.
If fresh tomatoes aren’t available, you can replace them with canned diced or crushed tomatoes. You may adjust the quantity of feta cheese and eggs according to your preference.
Strapatsada is perfect as it is, but you could always add slices of freshly cut cucumber and olives on the side, for an authentic Greek serving style.
Cooking a Greek Strapatsada is not just about preparing a meal; it’s an invitation to experience the rustic comfort of the Greece kitchen. This nutritious, straightforward, and adaptable recipe is perfect for a healthy start of your day or a lavish weekend breakfast. Enjoy the sunshine in your kitchen, no matter where you are!
καλή όρεξη (Enjoy your meal)!