What is the step-by-step procedure for making authentic Spanakopita for a Greek breakfast?
Deliciously Authentic Greek Breakfast: A Step-by-Step Recipe for Spanakopita
Start your morning on a healthy yet delicious note with a piece of authentic Greek spanakopita. This well-known savory Greek pastry is as nutritious as it is delectable, thanks to the spinach, feta, and flaky phyllo dough that make it up. If you’ve always wanted to recreate this popular dish at home, we’ve got just the recipe for you. Follow these easy, step-by-step instructions and serve a warm, comforting spanakopita straight from your own kitchen!
- 1 pack phyllo dough
- 16 oz. bag of fresh spinach
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 oz. feta cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C), and lightly oil a baking pan.
- In a large frying pan, sauté onions in two tablespoons of olive oil until tender.
- Add spinach to the pan and continue to cook until all the liquid evaporates. Season with salt and pepper. Let the mixture cool.
- In a large bowl, crumble the feta cheese, add eggs and combine with the cooled spinach mixture.
- Lay one piece of phyllo dough in the baking pan, lightly brush with olive oil, and repeat until half of the pack is used.
- Spread the spinach and cheese mix evenly over the phyllo in the pan.
- Repeat the layering process with the remaining phyllo dough.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the spanakopita is golden brown.
Spanakopita can be enjoyed hot or cold, and it’s a delightful addition to any meal, not just breakfast. With this recipe in your culinary arsenal, you’ll bring the tastes and traditions of Greece to your kitchen any time you want. So go ahead and impress your family and friends with your homemade spanakopita at your next gathering. Enjoy the authentic taste of Greek cuisine!