What makes the Greek Vegan Moussaka a healthy meal option?
Delightful and Healthy: Take a Bite of our Greek Vegan Moussaka!
If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious vegan meal packed with Greek flavors, look no further than our Greek Vegan Moussaka! With a hearty and satisfying combination of lentils, eggplant, and a creamy bechamel sauce, this dish is sure to become a staple in your recipe rotation.
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into rounds
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large saucepan, cook the lentils in 3 cups of water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking, place the sliced eggplant on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Let sit for 10 minutes to draw out the excess moisture, then rinse and pat dry.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a few tablespoons of water or vegetable broth. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the oregano, thyme, and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine, then add the crushed tomatoes, cooked lentils, and sea salt and black pepper to taste. Stir to combine and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the lentil mixture is simmering, make the bechamel sauce. In a saucepan, whisk together the almond milk, flour, and grated nutmeg. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the bechamel sauce from the heat and stir in the nutritional yeast and chopped parsley.
- Layer the eggplant rounds in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Pour the lentil mixture over the eggplant, then pour the bechamel sauce over everything. Use a spatula to spread the bechamel sauce evenly over the top of the dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
There you have it, a delicious and healthy Greek Vegan Moussaka that is sure to satisfy your plant-based needs. With the rich flavors of lentils, eggplant, and a creamy bechamel sauce, you won’t even miss the traditional meat-based version. Plus, it’s packed with protein and nutrients to keep you fueled for the day ahead. Give it a try and see for yourself!