What are the key ingredients used in the Authentic Greek Vegan Moussaka recipe, and how do they contribute to its plant-based goodness?
Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish that is a staple in many households. The classic version of moussaka is made with layers of eggplant, ground meat, and a béchamel sauce, but this vegan version is just as delicious. This recipe replaces the meat with chickpeas and the béchamel sauce with a vegan cheese sauce that will make your taste buds sing. Serve it with a Greek salad and some crusty bread for a truly Mediterranean experience.
- 2 eggplants
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Peel and slice the eggplants into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Salt the eggplant slices and let them sit for 10 minutes to release excess liquid.
- While the eggplants are sitting, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic and add them to the skillet.
- Cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to the skillet.
- Add the cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add the can of tomatoes to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Simmer the chickpea mixture for 10-15 minutes or until the liquid is reduced and it has thickened up.
- While the chickpea mixture is simmering, rinse and pat dry the eggplant slices.
- Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-15 minutes or until they are slightly crispy.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the oven and set them aside to cool.
- While the eggplant slices are cooling, make the vegan cheese sauce by combining the nutritional yeast, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper in a blender.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Once the eggplant slices have cooled, assemble the moussaka by layering the chickpea mixture and eggplant slices in a baking dish.
- Pour the vegan cheese sauce over the top of the moussaka.
- Bake the moussaka for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve hot with a Greek salad and some crusty bread.