What are the key ingredients in this Greek vegan moussaka recipe?
Sumptuous Greek Vegan Moussaka Recipe – A Delightful Mediterranean Treat!
Welcome to this tantalizing recipe of Greek Vegan Moussaka; a dish that is sure to transport you straight to the Mediterranean and leave you craving for more! With layers of juicy vegetables, a creamy béchamel sauce, and a rich tomato-based sauce, this Greek Vegan Moussaka is the perfect vegan comfort food for dinner and Sunday brunch, or any day that you need something that tastes both indulgent and healthy.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- For the béchamel sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice the eggplants and potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Lightly salt the eggplant slices and set aside for 15 minutes, then pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add a splash of olive oil and sauté the onions and red pepper until they begin to soften, then add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, smoked paprika, oregano, and salt and pepper to the skillet. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened up.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan over medium heat, melt the vegan butter. Add the flour, whisking constantly until smooth. Gradually pour in the almond milk, stirring continuously until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- To assemble the moussaka, coat the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish with a thin layer of olive oil. Layer the sliced potatoes and eggplants in the bottom of the dish, followed by the cooked lentil mixture, and repeat until all vegetables and lentil mixture have been used. Finally, pour the béchamel sauce over the top of the vegetables and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Let the moussaka rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with crusty bread and Greek salad.
This sumptuous Greek Vegan Moussaka Recipe is pure magic! It’s easy to make, healthy, comforting, and absolutely mouthwatering. This delightful Mediterranean treat is perfect for special occasions, potlucks, and family dinners. Give it a try and feel free to experiment with different vegetables, such as zucchini and mushrooms, to create your own variations. We hope you love it as much as we do!