How can I enjoy authentic Greek flavors while still maintaining a vegan diet?
Greek cuisine is known for its rich and flavorful dishes that are loved by many. One of the most popular Greek dishes is Spanakopita, a savory pastry filled with spinach and feta cheese. However, as more and more people are adopting a vegan lifestyle, they are looking for plant-based alternatives to their favorite dishes. That’s where our easy Vegan Spanakopita recipe comes in! With all the authentic Greek flavors you love, this recipe is sure to become a new favorite.
– 1 package of phyllo dough
– 1 large onion, diced
– 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 1/4 cup vegetable broth
– 16 oz fresh spinach, chopped
– 4 oz vegan feta cheese, crumbled
– 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
– 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and chopped garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the vegetable broth to the skillet and stir in the chopped spinach. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted.
4. Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the crumbled vegan feta cheese, nutritional yeast, and chopped dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Lay out one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean work surface. Brush the sheet with a thin layer of olive oil. Layer another sheet of phyllo dough on top and repeat until you have 4-5 layers of dough.
6. Cut the phyllo dough into 4-5 inch squares. Spoon a tablespoon of the spinach and feta mixture onto each square.
7. Fold the corners of the square in towards the center, creating a small package. Brush the top with a thin layer of olive oil.
8. Repeat steps 5-7 until you’ve used all your phyllo dough and filling.
9. Bake the vegan spanakopita for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
10. Serve warm and enjoy!
There you have it, a delicious and easy Vegan Spanakopita recipe that is sure to impress! By using vegan feta cheese and nutritional yeast, we’ve created a plant-based version of this classic Greek dish that maintains all the authentic flavors you love. Plus, the phyllo dough makes for a crispy and flaky pastry that’s irresistible. Give this recipe a try and savor the delicious and guilt-free taste of our Vegan Spanakopita!