What are the main ingredients in this vegan Greek moussaka recipe?
Deliciously Vegan: Try this Authentic Greek Moussaka Recipe
If you are looking for a delicious vegan recipe that also pays homage to Greek cuisine, look no further than moussaka. This hearty dish is usually made with lamb, but this vegan version is packed with flavour and will satisfy even the most discerning taste buds. Perfect for a family dinner or dinner party, this recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- 2 large eggplants
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tin of crushed tomatoes (400g)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- For the vegan béchamel sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Slice the eggplant lengthwise into thin slices and lay them out in a single layer in a lightly oiled baking pan. Brush the tops with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until tender.
- In a large pan, heat the remaining olive oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add in the oregano, cinnamon and tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes before adding in the vegetable broth.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it reduce for 10 minutes. Add the breadcrumbs and stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the vegan béchamel sauce, start by melting the vegan butter in a saucepan. Add in the flour and whisk continuously to make a roux. Slowly add in the almond milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer the moussaka into a baking dish, starting with a layer of eggplant, followed by a layer of the tomato sauce, then the béchamel sauce. Repeat the layering process until all of the ingredients are used up, ensuring that the final layer is the béchamel sauce.
- Bake the moussaka in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden and crispy.
This vegan moussaka is a delicious and healthy alternative to the traditional Greek dish. Packed full of flavour and hearty vegetables, it is sure to impress your dinner guests. Give it a try and see how easy it is to recreate this authentic Greek dish in your own home.