What traditional ingredients are needed to prepare the Greek breakfast recipe, Tyropita, and Greek Coffee?
Savor a Sunny Morning with Traditional Greek Breakfast Recipe: Tyropita and Greek Coffee!
There is something to be said for immersing oneself in another culture’s culinary delights. This article takes us to a sunny morning in Greece where the aromatic scent of traditional Tyropita and Greek Coffee fill the air. Let’s take this culinary journey together and learn how to make this appetizing Greek Breakfast.
Traditional Greek Tyropita
Tyropita, a savory Greek pastry, is an absolute delight to the senses with its delicious melt-in-your-mouth cheesy filling and flaky, buttery phyllo crust.
- 280 grams of feta cheese
- 100 grams of grated hard cheese (like Graviera)
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams of melted butter (for brushing the phyllo)
- 7 phyllo sheets
- In a bowl, crumble the feta cheese and add the grated cheese and the eggs. Mix well.
- Brush a baking pan with butter, and layer a phyllo sheet onto it. Brush this sheet with butter, and repeat for three sheets.
- Spread the cheese mixture onto the phyllo sheets, and cover with the rest of the sheets, brushing each sheet with butter as you go along.
- Cut the pie into pieces, and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes, or until it turns golden brown.
Traditional Greek Coffee
Pair your freshly baked Tyropita with an invigorating cup of strong Greek coffee. It’s easy to make and the perfect way to start your morning with a caffeine kick!
Greek Coffee Ingredients:
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1 tablespoon of Greek coffee
- Some sugar (optional)
- Fill the briki (Greek coffee pot) with water, add the coffee and sugar if you like, and stir once.
- Heat the briki over medium heat and let the coffee slowly come to the boil. As the coffee heats, it will start to froth. Watch it carefully!
- When the froth has risen to the top of the briki, remove from the heat, let it sit for a minute so the grounds settle, and serve hot.
Your Greek breakfast is now ready. The combination of hot, flaky Tyropita and a strong, aromatic Greek coffee is the perfect way to say καλημέρα, or good morning!
We hope you enjoyed this journey into traditional Greek cuisine. Savoring the Tyropita and Greek Coffee, imagine the crystal-clear waters, white sandy beaches, and blue skies of Greece. We hope this recipe brings a sunny Greek morning to your kitchen and a smile to your face. Καλή όρεξη (Bon Appetit)!