What are the key ingredients used in this traditional Ancient Greek beverage recipe?
Indulge in Ancient Greek Flavors with this Traditional Beverage Recipe
Greece is known for many things, including its rich history, vibrant culture, and delicious food and drinks. One of the most popular beverages in Greece is ”Rakomelo,” a traditional beverage made from raki, a type of Greek brandy, and honey. This flavorful and warming drink is perfect for cold winter nights or as a tasty way to end a meal. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make Rakomelo at home, so you can experience the flavors of Ancient Greece right in your own kitchen.
- 8 oz of raki
- 3 oz of honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Peel of 1 orange
- Add the raki, honey, cinnamon stick, and orange peel to a small pot.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the honey has dissolved and the mixture is steaming.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the mixture cool for a few minutes.
- Divide the Rakomelo between two glasses and enjoy!
Additional Tips and Notes:
- Rakomelo is typically served in small glasses and is meant to be sipped slowly.
- If you don’t have raki, you can use another type of brandy or even vodka.
- Feel free to experiment with the flavors by adding more or less honey, cinnamon, or orange peel to your liking.
- Make sure to remove the cinnamon stick and orange peel before serving.
We hope you enjoy making and drinking this traditional Greek beverage. It’s the perfect way to experience the rich flavors and culture of Ancient Greece from the comfort of your own home.