What is the traditional preparation method for Spanakopita in the context of a Greek breakfast according to the PAA authentic recipe guidelines?
Creating Your Own Authentic Greek Breakfast: A Simple Recipe for Spanakopita
Craving an authentic Greek breakfast from the comfort of your home? Look no further than this delightful Spanakopita recipe! This cheese-and-spinach packed delight is a traditional breakfast favorite in Greece, appreciated for its savory goodness and hearty appeal. Let’s explore the simple steps towards creating your very own homemade spanakopita!
- 1 pound fresh spinach
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 200g Feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry
- Preheat your oven to 180 C (350 F) and oil a baking dish.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in a pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil until softened
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted, then remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine eggs, feta cheese, dill, cooked spinach, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Layer 6 sheets of phyllo at the bottom of the dish, brushing each sheet with oil.
- Spread the spinach mixture over the phyllo dough.
- Top with the remaining phyllo sheets, oiling each sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Let it cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm.
Congratulations, you’ve just made a delightful Authentic Greek Spanakopita right from your kitchen. This hearty pie is not only delicious but also gives you a healthy dose of veggies to kick-start your day. Enjoy it with a cup of Greek coffee or tea for the full experience. Happy eating!