What makes this Greek Vegan Moussaka Recipe a healthy option?
Deliciously Healthy: Greek Vegan Moussaka Recipe
Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish that is usually made with ground lamb and eggplant, among other ingredients. However, this vegan version is a healthier and lighter take on the classic recipe, while still retaining all the flavors that make moussaka a beloved dish worldwide.
This recipe is quite easy to prepare, although it may take some time since there are several steps involved. However, the result is well worth the effort, as you will get a delicious, nutritious, and satisfying meal that will impress your family and friends.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tsp of paprika
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of cashews
- 1 cup of soy milk
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- Olive oil, as needed
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Place the sliced eggplants on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush them lightly with olive oil and sprinkle some salt and black pepper on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until soft and golden brown. Set aside.
- Rinse the lentils and cook them according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, oregano, thyme, paprika, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir until well combined and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the cashews, soy milk, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and some salt and black pepper until smooth and creamy.
- To assemble the moussaka, spread some of the lentil sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Layer some of the eggplant slices on top of the sauce, and repeat until you finish both the sauce and the eggplant. Top the moussaka with the cashew cream and breadcrumbs.
- Bake the moussaka for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy. Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
We hope you enjoyed this deliciously healthy Greek vegan moussaka recipe. Feel free to experiment with different veggies and spices, and let us know your favorite variations in the comments below. Bon appétit!